College of Forestry Vellanikkara
Forestry education in Kerala Agricultural University was started in 1986 with the establishment of the College of Forestry in Vellanikkara, Presently, the College is under the Faculty of Agriculture and is headed by the Associate Dean.
College of Forestry Vellanikkara Programmes and Departments
- B.Sc. (Forestry) Programme-The College offers a four-year degree programme in Forestry. The primary emphasis of this programme is to impart theoretical and practical knowledge in all the areas of forestry. The course is offered under the course-credit system over a period of eight semesters, the final semester being entirely set apart for off-campus training programmes.
- M.Sc. (Forestry) programme- M.Sc. (Forestry) is a two year programme (4 semesters) with opportunities of specialization in three disciplines of forestry viz., Silviculture and Agroforestry, Tree Physiology and Breeding and Wildlife Science.
- Department of Silviculture and Agroforestry
- Department of Tree Physiology and Breeding
- Department of Forest Management and Utilization
- Department of Wood Science
- Department of Wildlife Science
College of Forestry Vellanikkara Facilities
- Laboratories- The College laboratories are reasonably well equipped. In addition to the UG and PG laboratories, separate laboratories for silviculture, tree tissue culture, tree propagation, wood science, agroforestry, tree physiology and wildlife are established.
- College Library- The College of Forestry has established a good library having a rich collection of core books in subject matter areas of forestry for the frequent use of the students. Multiple copies of important books are available for the benefit of the students. Back volumes of some of the relevant research journals have also been procured to facilitate reference of literature by the students and staff.
- Research Programmes- Over 100 research projects have been completed/ being carried out in the College by the students and faculty.
- NSS-National Service Scheme (NSS) encompasses regular activities such as tree planting, front line demonstrations in technology transfer, village level camps, blood donation, cleanliness drive, campus beautification etc.
- Guest House
Admissions to academic programmes of KAU is through entrance examinations conducted by CEE of the Government of Kerala/ICAR. Master’s students are admitted through the entrance test conducted by the University or from ICAR quota. The doctoral students are admitted considering their academic merit, the quality of thesis work proposed, work experience, publications and personal interview. Apart from students coming to the University from all-over the state, about 15% of the KAU students at any time are from outside the state, including Lakshadweep and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
College of Forestry Vellanikkara Locations and Development
The College of Forestry is located about 10 km east of Thrissur along the side of the Trichur – Palghat National Highway (NG 47). The place lies between 13° 32’N latitude and 76° 26’E longitude with an elevation of about 40 m from MSL. The climate is warm humid with mean temperature varying from 30- 38° C . The mean annual precipitation is about 2670 mm. Diurnal variation in temperature is very less.
College of Forestry Vellanikkara Contact Details
College of Forestry,