Kalathappam is a Desert Food or rice cake famous in Kerala.Kalathappam is a very popular North Malabar delicacy.Kalathappam is a kannur special tea time snack.Its such a simple and easy snack which can be prepared in just a matter of minutes using rice flour, jaggery, fried shallots and coconut flakes and either cooked in a pan or in a pressure cooker like a cake.
|Rice||1 1/4 cup|
|Cooked rice||1/4 cup|
|Jaggery||5- 6 cubes|
|Grated coconut||1/4 cup|
|Coconut cuts||2 tbs|
|Baking soda||1/4 tsp(optional)|
|Cardamom powder||a pinch|
|Cumin powder||a pinch|
|Ghee/coconut oil||1 tbs|
How to Make
- Soak rice for 5-6 hrs in water.
- Grind rice with cooked rice and grated coconut by adding enough water.
- Add cumin powder and cardamom powder.
- Allow the batter to stand for 5-6 hrs.
- If you want to use batter immediately add baking soda.
- Melt the jaggery by adding little water and add this to the batter.
- Heat the Ghee/Coconut oil in a Pan.
- Saute the chopped shallots till light brown in colour.
- In another pan add some oil and brown the coconut cuts and some oil and brown the coconut cuts.
- Pour the batter to the saucepan and gently warm the mixture by stirring continuously.
- Pour the batter into a greased tin and bake in a preheated oven at 170 degree centigrade for 25- 30 minutes.
- Allow it cool down for another half and hour before you cut it.