Government have formed a separate department of Consumer Affairs as per the GO(MS)No.352/07/GAD dated 17-07-2007 by incorporating the Section of Consumer Affairs under the Food & Civil Supplies Department and the Legal Metrology Department under the Revenue Department for strengthening and coordinating the consumer protection measures and activities in the state The Consumer Protection Act,1986,one of the benevolent social legislation in the Country,intends to protect the consumers from exploitations.The provisions of the Act cover Products as well as Services To provide cheap,speedy and simple redressal to each District and the State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission at the State Level,in Kerala.The Consumer Affairs Department,Government of Kerala,Thiruvananthapuram is responsible for the formulation and monitoring of schemes on Consumer Protection in the State, and strengthening of the consumer movement,apart from implementing the policy and program-mes of the Central Government.
Under the provisions of the Consumer Protection Act, 1986, the State Commission is conferred with powers to entertain and dispose of complaints filed before it by the consumers, to entertain and dispose of the appeals preferred against the orders passed by the District Forums and revisions filed against the orders passed by the District Forums challenging the orders on the grounds that the Forum has exercised a jurisdiction not vested in it by law, or has failed to exercise a jurisdiction so vested or has acted in exercise of its jurisdiction illegally or with material irregularity in accordance with law.The District Forums are conferred with powers under the provisions of the Consumer Protection Act, 1986 to entertain and dispose of the complaints filed by the consumers
Notable Function of Consumer Affairs Department:
- Selection Committee of Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission/Consumer Disputes Redressal Fora.
- Prevention of Exploitation of Consumers and Unfair Trade Practices and Legislation’s thereof.
- Construction and Maintenance of Building and Assignment of Land thereof to Consumer Fora.
- Providing Infrastructure to Consumer Fora including purchase of Books/Periodicals.
- Standards of Weights and Measures Act, 1976, Standards of Weights and Measures (Enforcement) Act, 1985,Standards of Weights and Measures (Packaged Commodities) Rules 1977 and Amendments.
- One-time grant & by the Central Government for Providing Infrastructure facilities of Consumer Fora.
- Sanctioning of Rent to Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission/Consumer Disputes Redressal Fora Buildings.
- Issues raised in the Standing Working Group of Central Consumer Protection Council/Parliament.
- Introduction of Consumer Protection Act and Rules in Colleges/Schools.
- Central Consumer Protection Council.
- Lok Sabha / Rajya Sabha Questions on Consumer Affairs.
- Reports on Functional/Non-Functional Consumer Fora.
- Amendments in Kerala Standards of Weights and Measures(Enforcement) Rules, 1992.
Kerala Consumer Affairs Department Important Contact Details:
Shri. Anoop Jacob Minister for Food and Civil Supplies,Consumer Protection & Registration
Room No. 140
Office 0471-2333670, 0471-2518811
Consumer Affairs Department
North Sandwich Block
Shri. Anil .X Secretary
Official Website:http://www.Kerala.gov.in, http://www.consumeraffairs.kerala.gov.in
Other Related Website to the Consumer Affairs Department :
|Name Of the Website||Link|
|Kerala State Consumers & Affairs Department||www.consumeraffairs.Kerala.gov.in|
|Forward Markets Commission (FMC)||www.fmc.gov.in|
|Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS)||www.bis.org.in|
|The Judgment Information System||www.judis.nic.in|