Kerala Finance Department
In the course of legislative developments in 1865, the foundation stone was laid for the Secretariat building by His Highness Ayilyam ThirunalMaharaja.The Secretariat began to function from 23rd August 1869.Earlier, the Secretariat was known as Huzur Cut chery, Public Office or Puthen Kacheri.As part of the modernization of administration, in 1871, Col. Munro and Her Highness Rani Lakshmi Bai framed some of the major departments of the Secretariat like Finance, Revenue, Police etc. (The Secretariat came to be known as Government Secretariat from 25th August 1949 by virtueof Circular no. M3-5412/49/CS). Since its formation in 1871, Finance Department plays a major role in governance.A new Finance Commission is constituted at the expiration of every 5thyear of the previous Commission [ie.,in 5 years]. In Kerala, the First State Finance Commission was constituted on 23-4-1994 with Sri. P.A.Abraham as Chairman and Sri. K. Mohandas and Sri. K.A. Ommer as Members. Kerala is pioneer in this area.It is the first State in the country, where Fourth SFC Report has already been submitted to Government.
Finance Department Organization:
The State Government aims at enhancing fiscal stability through enhanced revenue receipts. The Government stands for more governmental intervention and enhanced governmental expenditure.Expenditure contraction is not its policy or mission. The Government aims at increasing Gross State Domestic Product ratio to 14 percent in 2010-11.It aims at eliminating revenue deficit by 2010-11. Liquidity management of this Government is commendable. The State has not entered into overdraft even for a single day during the financial year 2008-09. Other major achievements include E-based tax administration; Streamlining of procedures; Greater devaluation of fiscal powers through transparency in procedures; Fiscal autonomy to deserving Public Sector Undertakings; More financial powers to Administrative Secretariats and Directorates; Modernization and transparency.
Notable Function of Finance Department :
- Framing of rules regulating the pay, leave and pension of persons in the service of the Government and rules regulating the number, gradings or cadre and emoluments of posts under the Government and also be responsible for seeing that these rules are properly applied.
- Finance Department is responsible for all matters relative to financial procedure and the application of the principles of sound finance
- Advise on the financial aspect of all transactions relating to loans granted by the Government.
- Safety and proper employment of Famine Relief Fund and other special funds, if any, and for the administration of Provident Funds, Deposits and Advances.
- Examine and report on all proposals for the imposition, increase, reduction or abolition of taxes, duties, cesses or fees.
- Examine and report on all proposals for borrowing or giving of guarantee by the Government and raise such loans as have been duly authorized, & Finance Department shall be in charge of all matter srelating to the service of loans or the discharge of guarantees.
- Ensure that proper financial rules are framed for the guidance of other departments and that suitable accounts, including commercial accounts,whatever necessary, are maintained by other departments and establishments subordinate to them.
- Prepare an estimate of the total receipts and disbursements of the State in each year and watching the state of the Government’s balances and for their ways and means operations.
- Preparation of Budgets and supplementary estimates.
- Advise departments responsible for the collection of revenue regarding the progress of collection and methods of collection employed.
|1||Finance Inspection Wing|
|3||National Savings Department|
|4||State Insurance Department|
|5||Kerala Financial Corporation (KFC)|
|6||Local Fund Audit Department|
Kerala Finance Department Important Contact Details:
Shri. K.M. Mani Minister for Finance, Law and Housing
Room No: 216
3rd Floor, North Sandwich Block
Phone :0471-2327876 , 2327976
Mob : 9496155500
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Shri. V. P. Joy Principal Secretary
Shri. Rajesh Kumar Sinha Secretary ( Expenditure)
Shri. M. Girees Kumar Officer on Special Duty (Finance Resources)
Shri. E.K Prakash Special Secretary
E-mail Us: email@example.com
Related Websites of Finance Departments
|S.NO||Name of Website||Link|
|1||Department of Finance, Government of Kerala||www.finance.kerala.gov.in|
|2||Kerala Financial Corporation||www.kfc.org|
|3||Local Fund Audit Department||www.lfa.kerala.gov.in|
|4||Kerala State Insurance Department||www.insurance.kerala.gov.in|
|5||The Official website of Chief Minister of Kerala||www.keralacm.gov.in|