Kerala Home Department
The department has taken meaningful steps to protect to set up policing with public co-operation and modernising expired laws. The comprehensive community policing project, named as ‘Janamythri Suraksh Padhathi’, has got attention even in the national level. The Government is also obliged to realise immediate justice to the poor and is committed in protecting human rights.Kerala Police, in its present form, dates back to 1956 when the state itself was created in the course of re-organization of states following the independence of India in 1947. We are a approximately 42,149 strong police force of the state of Kerala in the Republic of India. We serve a population of over 31.8 million residing in five cities, 53 municipal towns, and 1452 villages spread over an area of 38,863 square kilometers with an average population density of 819 per square kilometer
Home Department Organization:
Home department is headed by a principal secretary, Kerala Police headed by Director General of Police, Kerala Fire Force headed by Commandant General, Fire force and Civil Defence, Prisons Department headed by Additional Director General of Police (Prisons) and the Chemical Examiners Laboratory headed by the Chief Chemical Examiner are under the administrative Control of the Home Department.The Kerala Police, like other state police forces in India, is headed by an officer of the rank of Director General of Police (DGP). Most of the senior officers of the force belong to the Indian Police Service (IPS). Officers for the IPS are selected through a nation-wide public examination and the annual intake is less than 100 in a nation of over a billion. IPS officers wear the same badges of rank as in the Indian Army. The DGP (and Additional DGPs) are equivalent in rank to a Lt. Gen. in the army, the Inspector General to a Maj. Gen., the Deputy Inspector General to a Brigadier.
Notable Function of Home Department :
- Cost Accommodation and allied matters of CRPF and other State Police & Force deputed to Kerala.
- Establishment of Gazetted Officers in General Executive of the Police Department including deputationand all Executive Officers in General Executive for the Police Department including deputation and all
Executive officers of Crime Branch.
- Kerala Prisons Act and Rules, Sub Jail Rules and their amendment.
- Remission and Commutation of sentences.
- Empowered Committee and all papers relating to prisoners.
- Death of Prisoners in Jails and petitions relating to death and parole.
- Finance Commission Award and Centrally Sponsored Schemes.
- Opening and Shifting of Police Stations and redefining of area of jurisdiction of Police Stations.
- Repairs and maintenance of departmental vehicles, hiring of vehicles,Installation of telephones and purchase of stores etc. of the Police Department.
- Indian Arms Act and Rules, Granting, renewing and extending Arms License.
- Administrative Sanction for demolition and auction of building belonging to Police Department.
- All papers relating to Fire and Rescue Services Department.
- Withdrawal of Prosecution cases in respect of all Districts in the State.
|S.NO||Department Section||Phone No|
|2||Home (B) Department||2518351|
|3||Home (C) Department||2517112|
|4||Home (D) Department||2518420|
|5||Home (E) Department||2518077|
|7||Hom (G) Department||2518943|
|8||Home (H) Department||2518227|
|10||Home (K) Department||2517141|
|11||Home (L) Department||2518153|
|12||Home (M) Department||2518237|
|13||Home (SS A) Department||2518438 Direct 2333637|
|14||Home (SS B) Department||2518719, Direct 2333485|
|15||Home (SC) Department||2518031|
|16||Home (Attestation) Department||2517107|
|17||Home (PS) Department||2518676|
Kerala Home Department Important Contact Details:
Shri. Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan Minister for Home and Vigilance
Room No: 532
3rd Floor, South Sandwich Block
Phone : 0471-2333526
Mob : 9447018116
Fax : 0471-2323144
Shri. Sajen Peter Principal Secretary
Ph: 0471-2327451, 2518228
Official Website: http://www.keralapolice.org
Related Website of Home Department:
|S.NO||Name of Website||Link|
|3||Kerala Police Housing and Construction Corporation Ltd.||www.kphccltd.org|