Kerala Housing Department
The Housing Department acts as the nodal department is the case of all the housing schemes and is coordinating all the housing activities in the State. The Housing Commissioner-ate was formed in the year 1980 with the objective of planning and co-ordination of the activities in the Housing sector.The Government of Kerala has constituted a Technical Cell of the Housing Department in the year 1980 with the objective of achieving the desired degree of co-ordination among various housing activities in the State under the direct guidance of Housing Commissioner to the Government.The Kerala State Housing Board and Kerala State Nirmithi Kendra are the major enterprises under the Department of Housing. The office of the Housing Commissioner is also under the control of Housing Department.The primary objective of the Housing Department is to formulate and implement various housing construction schemes as well as housing loan schemes for catering the housing needs of public belonging to various income groups viz. Economic weaker sections, low income group, middle income group and high income group.
Housing Department Organization:
The Department is headed by a Secretary.Kerala State Housing Board has been constituted by the Government of Kerala by Act 19 of 1971 to provide for the organized direction, planning and execution of housing and improvement schemes in the state of Kerala. The business of the Board is governed by a Director Board headed by a Chairman, official members appointed by the Government of Kerala and non-official members nominated by the State Government.Kerala State Housing Board is the top most institution in the housing sector of Kerala.Various Governmental and Non-Governmental agencies are executive house building schemes without any c-ordination.The agencies have also not been able to function effectively due to their inability ton funds at the proper time.The Housing Minister’s Conference hold to 1957 and in 1961 had recommended the establishment of a Housing Board or Corporation in every State.The Housing Commissioner to the Government of Kerala is the ex-officio Secretary of the Kerala State Housing Board.The Administration is vested in the Board which constitute of 17 members namely The Chairman (ex-officio), Housing commissioner cum ex-officio secretary, 4 official members nominated by the govt, and 11 non-official members nominated by the Govt.
Notable Function of Housing Department :
- To provide effective and standardized services to the general public through housing board.
- Ensure sincere services to the beneficiaries of the various schemes.
- To implement new schemes for attaining the goal of dream home of all house less.
- Achieve the goal of ‘ House for all’ by implementing Housing Policy.
- Implement Housing scheme for achieving house for all.
- Become self sufficient in the field of housing construction.
- To Attain shelters at low cost for public,especially for economically weaker sections.
- Modernization of Housing sector by providing high quality materials.
- Build earthquake resistant houses and rehabilitation colonies for those who are suffering from natural calamities.
- Controlling the prices of building materials by increasing the production through Government controlled institutions.
- To asses the demand of the public and to formulate housing schemes by acquiring land in bulk.
- Establishment matters relating to KSHB and Housing Commissioner.
- Audit Report of KSHB to be submitted to Legislative Secretariat annually.
- Consolidation of Monthly Business statement of Housing department.
|S.NO||Department Section||Phone No|
|1||Housing (A) Department||0471-2518604|
|2||Housing (B) Department||0471-2518874|
|3||Housing (C) Department||0471-2517131|
|4||Housing (PS) Department||0471-2518969|
Kerala Housing Department Important Contact Details:
Shri. K. M. Mani Minister for Finance, Law and Housing
Room No: 216
North Sandwich Block
Phone : 0471-2327876 , 2327976
Mob : 9496155500
Fax : 0471-2327016
Shri. Ajith Kumar A.Secretary
Ph: 0471-2333164, 2518008
Shri.Rajeev Kariyil Director
Kerala State Nirmithi Kendra
Tel: 0471- 2360208, 2360559
O/o The Housing Commissioner
Housing Board Building, Santhi Nagar
Thiruvananthapuram – 695 001
0471 – 2330720
Fax – 0471- 2331204
Official Website:www.hsgcomr.kerala.gov.in .
Related Website of Housing Department:
|S.NO||Name of Website||Link|
|1||Kerala State Housing Board||www.kshb.kerala.gov.in|
|2||National Housing Bank||www.nhb.org.in|
|3||Kerala Public Works Department||www.keralapwd.gov.in|
|4||Department of Town Planning||www.townplanning.kerala.gov.in|