Kerala Water Resources Department
Water Resources Department of the Government Secretariat takes the Administrative level decisions of the Line/Subordinate Departments. Its Political head is the Hon’ble Minister and the Administrative head is the Principal Secretary to the Government. Details of the Department such as organizational structure, list and officials,programmes,schemes, latest Government orders, achievements, success stories etc are provided.The Kerala Water Authority was constituted by the Government of Kerala on 1st April 1984 under the Kerala Water Supply and Waste Water Ordinance 1984 as a successor to the erstwhile Public Health Engineering Department of the Government of Kerala. The ordinance was replaced by the Kerala Water Supply and Sewerage Act 1986.Kerala Water Authority, on behalf of Government of Kerala is entrusted with the task of providing quality drinking water and sewage services in an Eco friendly and sustainable manner to the people of the State.Kerala Water Authority (KWA) is responsible for the design,construction, execution, operation and maintenance of most of the water supply schemes and also for the collection and disposal of the waste water in the State of Kerala
Water Resources Department Organization:
The Board of the Authority consists of Chairman, Managing Director,Secretary to Government (Water Supply), Secretary to Government(Finance), Secretary to Government (Local Administration), Secretary to Government (Rural Development), two members representing local bodies, two members appointed by the Government , Technical Member and Accounts Member. Managing Director is the Chief Executive of Kerala Water Authority.Kerala Water Authority is headquartered at Thiruvananthapuram.The three regional offices at Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi and Kozhikode are headed by a Chief Engineers.There are two more Chief Engineers, one dealing with Human Resources Development & General matters and another with JICA projects. The Finance Manager & Chief Accounts Officer looks after the Funds,Accounting and related matters of Kerala Water Authority. KWA has 465 field offices and around 9000 employees
Notable Function of Water Resources Department :
- The main purpose of the Department is to formulate water policies, the maintenance of the completed projects, prepare Irrigation projects and execute them in time within the prevailing rules and regulations for the benefit of the people of the state. The Department is having plan schemes and Non-plan schemes. Plan schemes are either centrally sponsored of externally aided schemes.
- The Water Resources Department is the agency that investigates, designs,construct, operate and maintain, Minor, Medium and Major Irrigation Projects, Flood control works on river banks, coastal protection works,inland navigation, hydrological information system collection, drainage works, salinity extrusion and land reclamation works, engineering research, coastal engineering, field studies etc., based on suitable budget provisions.
- The Command Area Development Works on irrigated commands of the state under CADA programme for the completed projects.
- Formulation of State water policy fixing of water rates and integrated Irrigation Bill and also an Integrated Water resources Development plan for Kerala for Irrigation, Drinking Water and Electricity.
- The renewal of PAP Agreements with Tamil Nadu by JWR and settle interstate water disputes through Cauvery cell at New Delhi.
|S.NO||Department Section||Phone No|
|1||Water Resources (A) Department||0471-2518507|
|2||Water Resources (G & P) Department||0471-2517164|
|3||Water Resources (MI) Department||0471-2518810|
|4||Water Resources (GW) Department||0471-2518724|
|5||Water Resources (Water Supply B) Department||0471-2518042|
|6||Water Resources (Irrigation) Department||0471- 2518475|
|7||Water Resources (ISW) Department||0471-2518916|
|8||Water Resources (Water Supply C) Department||0471- 2518773|
|9||Water Resources (PS) Department||0471-2518281|
|10||Water Resources (CADA) Department||0471 2518224|
|11||Water Resources (MP) Department||0471- 2517026|
Kerala Water Resources Department Important Contact Details:
Shri. P. J. Joseph Minister for Water Resources
Room No: 264,
2nd Floor, South Block
Phone : 0471-2327560,2336605
Mob : 9447799300
Fax : 0471-2327560
Water Resources Department
Shri. V. J. Kurian Principal Secretary
(Additional charge of Inter State Waters)
Smt. Tinku Biswal Special Secretary
Ph-0471- 2325992, 2518347
Sri.V.J.Kurian , IA
Water Resources Department,
Official Website: http://www.kwa.kerala.gov.in
Related Website of Water Resources Department
|Name of Website||Link|
|Kerala Water Authority||www.kwa.kerala.gov.in|
|Ground Water Department||www.groundwater.kerala.gov.in|