Kozhikode or Calicut is situated in the south Indian state of Kerala on the southwest coast of the Arabian Sea. Ancient temples, Mosques, Churches and rich history is what you will notice here. Vasco Da Gama the famous legendary navigator first landed on India in Calicut only. Kozhikode holds historical importance.There are many archeological sites which you can seek to.In Kozhikode you have lot to do.
List of Things To Do in Kozhikode
- Boating and Trekking– Opportunities for boat rides are available on the dam. There is a bird sanctuary and a crocodile farm nearby too. The Kakkayam Dam is an excellent destination for those who wish to have a glimpse of wildlife while trekking and rock climbing.
- Dolphin Point-It is a place near the beach from where you can spot a few dolphins jumping and playing with the sea water.Mornings are just perfect for dolphin sighting.
- Thusharagiri Waterfall 48 km from the town of Kozhikode. The falls are worth visiting for their scenic beauty and tranquility.Kakkayam – trekking and rock climbing through river path, enjoying numerous water falls.
- Kozhippara Water Falls-Ideal location for trekking and swimming ,with river side forests ,situated in Kakkadampoyil on the Malappuram -Calicut District border,can reach there by road.
- Beaches and Swimming-Kozhikode Beach The beach here allows you to take a relaxing walk on the sand with pleasant breezes blow on your face. Also, you can taste some exotic seafood at beach stalls.
- Elathur-It is situated just north to the Kappad beach (and 20 km from Kozhikode) is Elathur, a place where the Korpuzzha river meets the Arabian Sea. A boat ride at this place is an extremely enjoyable experience. Moreover, there are plenty of shellfish and kallumakya seen here.
Learn or Watch Kalaripayattu
- Kalaripayattu is the famous ancient martial art form of Kerala has close connections to Kozhikode in the sense that Kozhikode the CVN Kalari Sangam of this place has produced a number of expert fighters. Prior request needs to be made so that a demonstration is arranged. The Kalari Centre is situated in Nadakkavu near the Malabar Palace calicut.
- Thali Temple was constructed by the Samuthiris and played host to the famous Revathi Pattanam.Lokanarkavu is dedicated to Goddess Durga. The highlights of the temple are magnificent murals and exquisite carvings on walls.
Visit Streets and Parks
- Market– Sweet Meat Street is famous for Mithai Theruvu a kind of Kozhikode halwa, a sweet that has made Kozhikode quiet popular in Kerala. The sweet comes in various colors – red, yellow, green and black and is fondly referred to as Kozhikode ‘halwa’. Palayam Market- It bustles with a whole lot of activities going on simultaneously. The major attraction of the market is the Mohiudeen Mosque .
- Mananchira Square-It is located in the busiest part of the city, the Mananchira Square encircles the Mananchira tank, the private bath of the Samuthiris in the erstwhile era. The Square, which was recently renovated, houses some of the most important structures of the city like the Commonwealth Trust Factory, Town Hall, Public Library, Lalitkala Academy Hall, CSI Church, Pattalam Mosque, Commonwealth Spinning Mill, Kuttichera (an old Mapilla settlement), Mishkal Mosque, Kuttichera Tank, Jama’atpalli Mosque and Muchhandipalli Mosque.
The Kerala Institute of Research and Development of Scheduled Tribes and Castes is a tribal study center located at a distance of around 9 km from Kozhikode. The library here contains mostly literature on tribes. There is also a museum in this study centre. The Study Centre is open every day from 10 am to 5 pm.