Activity in Wayanad
Wayanad is known for its spices, waterfalls and wildlife. Wayanad have so many things to do and cater needs of every tourist. Wayanad is richly blessed with nature and rich wildlife, sprawling tea, coffee and spice plantations. For Adventure and Trekking tourist this place can be more than paradise for you. Comprising of various wildlife sanctuary and hilly regions there are lot of activities here that one can indulge in . Within the radius of 30-40 km range you will find ample of opportunities to enjoy your vacations here at "God’s own Country" hilly district. You will enjoy the fascinating beauty of this place everywhere in the city, towns, hills or in Jungle.
List of Things To Do in Wayanad Kerala
Some of the major things to do in Wayanad are –
Temples and Pilgrimages
- Thirunelli Temple is a very old temple on the foothills of Brahmagiri. This temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu.
- Pilgrimage– Bathery Cathedral,
Nature and Plantations
- Tea Plantations of Vythiri– You can go for some best serene view of Kerala in Vythiri sprawling tea plantations that are ensconced atop the rolling hills of Vythiri.
- Wildlife Jungle Safari -Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary is a rain forest reserve connected to two major sanctuaries – Bandipur National Park in Karnataka and Mudumalai Sanctuary in Tamil Nadu.Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Banasura Sagar Dam – It is the largest earthen dam in India and the second largest in Asia, and an ideal starting point for hikes into the surrounding scenic mountains.
Trekking and Adventures
- Edakkal Caves– Located in Ambukuthy Mountain the rock wall contains some interesting carvings, which represent human and animal figures and objects of human use and symbols. The caves accessible only by a 1 km trekking trail from Edakkal.
- Pakshipathalam is a bird sanctuary accessible only be trekking.To visit this place, special permission needs to be obtained from the forest department.Thovarimala where one can see stone age pictorial writings on a rock.
- Chembra peak at 2100 meters is a challenging mountaineering endeavor and would take a full day. The surrounding areas offer exceptional photo opportunities.
- Kuruva Dweep 950 acres of ever green forest on the tributaries of east flowing river Kabini. One can find here Rare species of birds, orchids and herbs.
Waterfalls and Hill Stations
- Waterfalls– Kanthapara Waterfalls located 2 km south-east of Kalpetta is a 30 m high waterfall.Soochipara falls is also famous for rock climbing.Meenmutty Falls is 29 km from Kalpetta in Wayanad District. It is Kerala’s second largest waterfall and the one most unspoiled in its natural setting.
- Hill Station- Lakkidi Hill station situated at 700 m above sea level.