Theeyal is very delicious Kerala dish serve with rice. Theeyal is quite similar to samber.Theeyal dish is included in a traditional sadya menu in some parts of kerala.Theeyal is made from a spice mixture consisting of roasted coconut , coriander seeds, dried red chili and fenugreek .Theeyal which means “burnt dish” is a typical Kerala dish featuring burnt coconut and is usually dark brown in color.
|Garlic pods||2 nos|
|Grated coconut||1 cup|
|Fenugreek seeds(Uluva)||1 tsp|
|Chilly powder||1 tbsp|
|Jack fruit seeds||100 gm cut into 4 pieces|
|Red gram||1/3 cup|
|Coriander seeds||1 tsp|
|Green Chilly||3 nos|
|Tamarind extract||1 tbsp|
|Turmeric powder||1 tsp|
|Curry leaves||A few|
How to Make
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a frying pan.
- Add 1/2 cup of the chopped onions in Fry pan.
- Saute well till brown after that add curry leaves, coriander seeds, garlic and fenugreek seeds.
- Stir for a few more minutes, remove and keep aside.
- On a low heat roast the dry coconut till brown.
- Add the coconut with the onion mixture adding half a cup of water.
- Cook the Dal and jack fruit seeds along with water in a pressure cooker.
- Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan
- Add mustard seeds , add the curry leaves, green chillies, remaining onions and shallots. Fry till thry turn brown.
- Add chilly powder followed by the tamarind extract and & 1/2 cup water.
- Add salt and allow it to boil.
- When it starts to boil, add the blended paste, dal and cook on a low flame for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot Theeyal with rice.