Kerala Department of Cultural Affairs
Kerala is famous for its cultural ethos. The time – honoured traditions in arts, distinctive features in literature and uniqueness of culture made our state vibrant in all aspects of the scenario. The Department of Culture plays a pivotal role in making the cultural fronts up and active. The time – honored values lie dormant in the living traditions of these expressions. The feudal chieftains and provincial landlords who patronized these visual and devotional arts for centuries were not only encouraging them as entertainments but were also upholding their moral and ethical messages.Vivid visual effects and stunning music are hallmarks of Kerala’s performing arts. In a land, which cannot boast of monumental architectural feats, unlike many other parts of India, the performing arts, both individually and collectively, make up for the lost magnificence. No other state in India can match the grandeur and creativity of Kerala’s performing arts.The crowning jewels of Kerala’s performing arts are Koodiyattam and Kathakali. Koodiyattam, the one thousand year old classical dance drama is regarded as one of the earliest traditions in theater across the world. UNESCO has named it as a World Heritage describing it as a masterpiece of oral and intangible heritage. Though Koodiyattam is the oldest, Kerala perhaps owes its transnational fame to Kathakali, the classical dance drama combining facets of ballet, opera, masque and the pantomime.
Cultural Affairs Department Organization:
The department has only one office i.e. the Directorate of Cultural publications with its headquarters at Thiruvananthapuram. The Director of Publications has been declared as the Head of the Department.Several institutes/ agencies function under the control or guidance of the Department of Culture with an aim to preserve and promote the cultural, literacy and artistic value of our stateKerala has a spectacular heritage of cultural expressions across many art-forms and customs
Notable Function of Cultural Affairs Department:
- Papers relating to Kerala Kalamandalam, Kerala Sahitya Academy, Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Academy, Kerala Folklore Academy, Kerala Lalithakala Academy, Bharat Bhavan.
- Issuing Awards such as Ezhuthachan puraskaram,Kathakali Puraskaram,Pallavoor Appu Marar Puraskaram, Raja Ravivarma Puraskaram, Keraleeya Nritha Natya Puraskaram.
- Related papers with L.A., Apex Committee Meeting etc. and Miscellaneous papers.
- Cinema-TV Awards, Cultural Exchange Programme, Monthly Plan Progress.
- Pension papers of KGCIEPS
- All papers relating to State Institute of Languages, State Institute of Children Literature, State Institute of Encyclopaedic Publications, Kerala Book Marketing Society.
- L. A. Interpellation.
- Monthly pension to artists who are in indigent circumstances, Arrear pension of pensioner to his/her heirs.
- All papers of State Archives Department, Department of Cultural Publications, Directorate of Culture and Kerala Council for Historical Research.
- Multi Purpose Cultural Complex Society (Vyloppilly Sanskriti Bhavan).
- Grant-in-aid to memorials to eminent men of arts and letters and allied matters.
- Grant-in-aid to Cultural Organizations in the State and NRG to various Cultural Institutions.
- Miscellaneous papers of Cultural Affairs (B) Department.
|S.NO||Department Section||Phone no|
|1||Cultural Affairs (A) Department||04712518890|
|2||Co-operation (B) Department||04712518723|
|3||Co-operation (C) Department||04712517016|
Kerala Cultural Affairs Department Important Contact Details:
Sri. K.C. Joseph
Room No: 358 B
1st Floor, Main Block
Phone : 0471-2332021, 2333176
Mob : 9495466600
Fax: 0471- 2320600
Cultural Affairs Department
1st Floor,South Block
Shri. Sajan Peter Principal Secretary
Official Website: http://www.kerala.gov.in
Related Website of the Cultural Affairs Department :
|Name Of the Website||Link|
|Kerala Kalalayam website||www.kalalayam.in|
|Cultural Workers Welfare Fund Board||www.cwb.kerala.gov.in|
|Kerala Folklore Academy||www.keralatourism.org|
|Official Language Department||www.mm.Kerala.gov.in|
|Center for Heritage Studies,Ernakulam||www.centreforheritagestudies.com|
|State Central Library||www.statelibrary.Kerala.gov.in|