KSRTC Kerala State Road Transport Corporation
Kerala State Road Transport Corporation or KSRTC is the state-run bus company in the state of Kerala. It is one of the oldest state run public bus transport services in India. KSRTC is a Public Sector Corporation under the Ministry of Transport of the State Government of Kerala. This Kerala Public transport bus service was started in 1938 with headquarters in Thiruvananthapuram. It is one of the oldest state run public bus transport services in India.
History of KSRTC
The Kerala State Road Transport Corporation began as the Travancore State Transport Department, constituted by the former Travancore Government with the intent of reorganizing the transportation services of the state, but later it changed on the state’s name i.e. Kerala. The acting of the Road Transport Corporation Act in 1950, the Government of Kerala formulated KSRTC rules in 1965. The Kerala State Road Transport Corporation was formally established by the government of Kerala by the notification dated, 15 March 1965. The Transport Department was converted into an autonomous corporation on 1 April 1965
Bus Services from KSRTC
- Garuda Volvo AC Bus: Interstate Services Luxury Buses to Bangalore with 2×2 reclining seats and full air suspension.
- Volvo AC Airbus and
Globus AC Airbus
- Super Deluxe Airbus: Luxury interstate and intrastate services, often long distance with 2×2 reclining seats and rear air suspension.
- Super Express Airbus: Newly introduced long distance services on 12 m chassis, often interstate with 3×2 seating layout with more leg room and rear air suspension. Some buses have 2×2 seating layout. Same fare as a Super Express.
- Super Express: Faster, long distance services, often interstate with 3×2 seating layout.
- Super Fast: Fast, long distance services with 3×2 seating layout.
- Super Fast Airbus: Converted old TATA 1616c Luxury buses, often long distance with 2×2 seats more leg room and rear air suspension. Same fare as a Super Fast.
- Fast Passenger: Short and long distance no frill services with 3×2 seating layout.
- Oridinary Bus: Short routes served by older buses that used to run on higher grade services.
- Venad/Malabar Limited Stop: Comfortable buses used as Limited Stop Ordinary [LS ORD] / Fare Stage Limited Stop [FSLS] / Town to Town [TT] with 3×2 seating layout and Ordinary Fare Stage.
- Ananthapuri Fast / Thiru Kochi: City buses in Thiruvananthapuram / Kochi with 2×2 seating layout.
- City Ordinary Bus: Ordinary Buses in Thiruvananthapuram for city transportation.
- City Double Decker: Double Decker buses in Thiruvananthapuram (EAST FORT to SANGUMUGHAM Beach)charging ordinary fares.
- JnNURM AC Volvo Low Floor: Low Floor AC City Buses under Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission scheme in Thiruvananthapuram / Kochi with 2×2 seating layout.
- JnNURM Non AC Low Floor: Low Floor City Buses under Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission scheme in Thiruvananthapuram / Kochi with 2×2 seating layout.
- Mini Bus: Mini Buses are used on small feeder routes charging ordinary fares.
- Rajdhani Ring Road Bus Service: New ring road bus service in Thiruvananthapuram city
- Short Wheel Base Ordinary Bus: Midi Buses with shorter wheelbase (176 in wheelbase) are used on routes in hilly areas, ghats and small narrower roads charging ordinary fares.
KSRTC Facts and Figures
– 6222 buses run on 5533 schedules everyday
– 3.1 million passengers used KSTDC Bus Services Daily
– 14,22,546 kms is the daily scheduled distance for bus services in Kerala
Fares in KSRTC Buses
The minimum charges are mentioned below and it subsequently increases with distance travelled
Rs 5.00 for City/Ordinary services/City Fast Services/ Non-AC Low floor Services
Rs 7.00 for Fast passenger/ Limited Stop Fast Passenger Services
Rs.10.00 for Super Fast Services/Low Floor AC services
Rs.15.00 for Super Express
Rs.20 for Super Deluxe/ Semi Sleeper Services
Rs 30 for Luxury/Hi-tech/Air Conditioned/Volvo Services.
SMS Service for Bus Timings and Schedule
For finding KSRTC bus timings and schedule on your mobile, just type the keyword KSRTC then a space type starting DEPOT CODE then a space and type destination DEPOT CODE, and then send SMS to 537252
KSRTC <start code> <end code> <00:00>
eg: KSRTC TVM EKM
Send SMS to 537252
– Time format is optional
– This will get a list of 20 buses with their timings on that route.
– Depot codes are normally written on the front and back of the KSRTC buses or important places
KSRTC Special Bus Service
KSRTC from time to time introduces special bus services for tourists and pilgrims, so that there is no hassle during peak seasons and festival time. Some of the recently launched special bus services in Kerala are:
– KSRTC Heritage Bus Tour
– Special Bus Service during Sabarimala Festival
KSRTC Saarathi (Online Booking website for Kerala Bus Tickets): http://18.104.22.168:8080/KsrtcOnlineR/
To succeed by providing excellent service to the customers through a committed team, Kerala State Road Transport Corporation is gaining popularity for their dedicated work and non-stop services. They are loyal to provide a high standard of service to all the customers through the development of the services.
KSRTC Workshops and Depots are widely spread around the whole of the state of Kerala. There are depots, sub depots, chief office, workshop centers and many other operating centers present to make the service more convenient for the public.
Contact Details of KSRTC Bus service:
Phone landline : 0471-2471011 [10 lines]
Control Room Landline : 0471-2463799
Official Website for Kerala Bus Service KSRTC (KRTC): www.keralartc.com