Cranganore Fort, is also known as Kodungallur Fort, was constructed by the Portuguese in 1523 A.D. and was called Fortaleza da Sao Tome is located in Thrissur District of Kerala India. The Dutch took possession of it in 1661 and afterwards it came under the control of Tipu Sultan. The Dutch took it back from Tipu Sultan, but the fort finally came under the control of Tipu, who demolished it in the next year. The remains of the fort show that the original fort wall was 18 feet in thickness. The ruin is also known as Tipu’s fort. The fort is about 2 km from the town of Kodungallur. As this fort is found in a ruined state, the Archaeological Department of Travancore took a pillar from this fort and conserved it as a public property.
Cranganore Fort on Google Map
How to Reach Cranganore Fort
By Train– Thrissur Railway Station is one of the important railway head in South India and is well connected to the cities of Kerala as well as with other cities of India. Trains are variable to leading cities like Mumbai, New Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore, Chennai, Mangalore and Hyderabad and almost every part of India. Kerala’s largest Railway Junction- Shornur Junction is just 33 Kms away from the city.
By Road– National highway NH 544 and NH 66 is connected to the city and is well connected by the cities of Kerala and to the cities like Kochi, Kozhikode, Kannur, Thiruvananthapuram, Coimbatore, Mangalore, Bangalore,Chennai and Mumbai.