Ayurveda in Kerala is world famous and is known and practiced here since ancient times of medicinal history.Ayurveda is an ancient medicinal system of India that goes back to period of Vedas and atharveda of ancient time.It is practiced in India from very long time ago. Ayurveda stresses the use of plant-based medicines and treatments. Ayurveda focuses on the three parts of body defined in vedas they are Vata (regulating movement), b (regulating metabolism) and Kapha (regulating structure). Ayurveda is the science of life and longevity that leads to harmony of Body, Mind and Soul. Kerala known as the " Land of Ayurveda" is an exquisite place to go for treatments . The legendary 8 families of Vadyas master of Ayurveda served the state from ancient time. The modern Ayurveda originated from Kerala only. Ayurveda is a complete natural health care system according to World Health Organization.
With pleasant climatic conditions Kerala is a perfect place for Ayurveda treatments, some of the most original Ayurveda treatments are followed here that refreshes and increases the vitality of the body. Kerala is land of herbs and spices and various dedicated professional Ayurveda practitioners which makes Kerala exotic place for Ayurveda. There are various treatments in Ayurveda focusing on different parts of the body. Ayurveda is practiced in Kerala from centuries ago which is nurturing with the time since then. There are various resorts and Ayurveda centers in Kerala. Various famous resorts and hotels provides Ayurveda packages and vacations where they give Ayurveda treatment to the tourists. There are world class resorts and centers that give these treatments.Thrissur the cultural capital of Kerala is famous for Ayurveda treatments.
List of Best Ayurveda Resorts of Kerala
There are many resorts in Kerala that provides treatments as all the necessary elements needed for Ayurveda are present in Kerala. But some of the best Ayurvedic resorts of Kerala that are well managed and with excellent facilities are –
Kairali Ayurvedic Health Resort
PO- Olassery, Kodumbu
Palakkad Dist., 678551
Kerala , India.
Phone- 0091-4923-222553, 222623,
Somatheeram Ayurvedic Health Resort
Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort
Chowara P.O., South of Kovalam,
Tel: +91-471-2268101, 2266111
Beach and Lake Ayurvedic Resort
Pozhikkara Beach, Pachalloor
P.O., Thiruvananthapuram, Pin – 695027
Kerala, South India,
Ph: 91-471-2382086, 91-471 -2383066
Fax : 91-471-2382066
Sarovaram Ayurvedic Resort
Ayurvedic Backwater Health Center
Mob 91- 9447774686
Ideal Ayurvedic Resort
Ideal Ayurvedic Resort
Chowara Beach, Kovalam,
Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India – 695 501
Telephone: +91 – 471 – 2266600 / 2269900 / 2268632
Fax: +91 – 471 – 2267008
Shin Shiva Ayurvedic Resort
Shinshiva Ayurvedic Resort (Pvt) Ltd.
Chowara (p.o), Balaramapuram(via),
Trivandrum, Kerala, South India
Phone-+91- 471-2266331, +91 – 471-2267332
Ayurveda Yoga Villa
Palvelichem, Bavali PO, Kartikulam,
Kerala, South India,
E – mail: email@example.com
Keraleeyam Lake Side Ayurveda Resort
P.O., Alappuzha (Alleppey),
Ayurvedic Treatments in Kerala
- Kizhi – Kizhi treatment is a therapy wherein heated herbs and medicinal oils are tied in cloth bags and placed on the area to be treated.This treatment is for osteoarthritis, arthritis with swelling, spondilosis, sports injuries etc.
- Dhanyamla dhara– Dhanyamla Dhara Ayurvedic treatment is done for patients suffering from hemiplegia, paralysis, rheumatic complaints etc.The Luke warm medicinal liquid is fall over the body on a rhythmic fashion through vessel for 45 minutes to 1 hour daily.
- Yoni prakshalanam – Yoni means female genital and Prakshalanam or prakshalan means washing or bathing.The procedure of Yoni Prakshalanam involves cleaning of the vaginal area with medicated oils to prevent yeast or fungal infections and cure genital disorders. It is also a Purification process for Genital organs.
- Kativasthi– Diseases like chronic back ache, sciatica, rheumatoid arthritis, lumbago, osteoarthritis, weakness of lower limbs etc. are treated using Kativasti.In this process, specially prepared warm medicated oil is kept over the lower back with herbal paste boundary. This treatment lasts for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Urovasthi – Sirovasthi is an effective treatment in Ayurveda for dryness of nostrils, mouth and throat, facial paralysis, severe headache and nervous system disorders. In this therapy, warm medicated oil is retained over the head for a certain amount of time. The oil use in this Therapy is a mixture of gingely oil, castor oil, ghee, common milk, and various herb extracts.
- Thalam lepanam– Special powder mixed with medicated oil is applied on the top of the head for 20 to 45 minutes. This treatment is helpful for curing ENT problems, insomnia, migraine etc. Lepanam is such a treatment where the medicines are applied in the affected part of the body and very useful for various types of inflammatory and spastic conditions.This is useful for various types of inflammatory conditions, skin diseases, arthritis etc.
- Thalapothichil – Covering of the head with medicinal paste in Purvakarma in Panchakarma therapy is known as talapotichil in Ayurveda terminology.This treatment is very good in the case of hair loss, dandruff, graying, insomnia, low blood pressure (BP) and chronic sinusitis.
- Sandhi vatha chikilsa– Sandhi Vatha Chikitsa is an ayurvedic treatment, is very effective in curing arthritic conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, gout, osteoarthritis, ankylosing spondylosis, cervical spondylosis and osteoporosis.This programme includes herbal oil application on affected parts Kizhi and Herbal Steam Bath.
- Pizhichil– Pizhichil is another name of sarvangdhara meaning squeezing warm medicated oil all over the body with the help of cloth pieces ,which are periodically dipped into vessels containing oil. Balances Vata. Rheumatic diseases like Arthritis, Paralysis, Hemiplegia, Epilepsy, Paralysis-Agitanus and Sexual weakness.
- Njavarakizhi – Kizhi or njavarakizhi is another special Ayurvedic full-body massage therapy.Njavarakizhi is used in the treatment of rheumatism,arthritis and other neuro-muscular disorders as well as for general rejuvenation of the body.Balances Vata. Weight loss, Rheumatism, Pain in the Joints, Emaciation of limbs, High blood pressure, Cholesterol and certain kinds of skin diseases.
- Sirodhara – Sirodhara is a unique treatment where specific medicated oils are used to bathe the head in a regular stream for a definite period. It is an effective therapy for mental relaxation and cures insomnia, stress, depression, decreased mental agility etc.
- Vasthi – Vasthi is a process of injecting fluid through the anal, urinary or vaginal canal. Vasti or the urinary bladder of animals is used and hence this term. Balances Vata. Tonic, Arthritis, Paralysis, Hemiplegia, Numbness, Gastric complaints associated with Rheumatism and constant constipation
- Sirovasthi – It is the process in which medicated oil is poured to your head and maintained in it for some time using a cap or bandage.Normally the oil is retained on the head for about 30 to 45 minutes.This form of treatment removes dryness of nostrils, mouth and throat and removes facial paralysis,severe headache and other vatha troubles.
- Udvarthanam – Udvarthanam is otherwise known as powder massage.The herbal powders are mixed with oil, milk or medicated juice and rubbed upwards onto the body. Udvarthanam is beneficial to diseases like hemiplegia, paralysis, obesity (excess fat). It imparts mobility to joints, strengthens muscles and refreshes the body.
- Abhyangam – Abhyangam is the Sanskrit word for oil massage in the ayurvedic system.Abhyangam can increase the production of white blood corpuscles and antibodies, which provide more resistance against viruses and diseases.
- Nasyam– Nasyam is also a powerful rejuvenative therapy.The face, shoulders and chest are massaged with specific herbal oil and the herbal extracts and herbal oils are measured exactly and instilled into the nostrils, while inhaling.Main types of nasyam are virechana nasyam, dhmana nasyam, brumhana nasyam and shamana nasyam.
- Snehapanam– It is a kind of oral medication. Medicated ghee is used for it.It gives more physical power to the sexually and old age weak. It is also used in paralysis, asthma, Skin diseases and other diseases like wasting of the body etc.Internal rejuvenation. Improves immunity. Aids cleansing. Also used in Osteoarthritis, Psoriasis, Leukemia etc