National Highway in Kerala
Kerala has 8 national highways with a total stretch of 1457 kms. The Palakkad-Thrissur-Kochi stretch of NH 47 is a part of North-South and East-West Corridor of the Indian highway system. Most of the National Highways are of good quality and the roads are wider and maintained well, but conditions of roads become worse during monsoon season, due to excessive rainfall in Kerala.
Kerala National Highway Details
|NH No.||Portion in Kerala and name of NH||Length(kms)|
|NH47||Walayar – Kaliyakkavila (Salem – Kanyakumari)||416|
|NH17||Thalapadi – Edappally (Panavel – Kochi)||420|
|NH49||Kundannoor – Bodimettu (Kochi-Madurai)||167|
|NH47A||Kundannoor – Willington Island||6|
|NH208||Kollam – Aryankavu (Kollam – Thirumangalam)||81|
|NH212||Kozhikode – Muthanga (Kozhikode – Mysore)||117|
|NH213||Palakkad – Kozhikode||125|
|NH220||Kollam – Kumily (Kollam – Teni)||189|
The revised National Names are as follows:
|New NH No||
N H Name
|Existing NH No.||Portion in Kerala|
|66||Panavel – Kanyakumari||47||Edappally – Kaliyakkavila|
|17||Thalapadi – Edappally|
|85||Kochi – Tondi Point||49||Bodimettu – Kundannoor|
|183||Dindigul – Kottarakkara||220||Kottarakkara – Kumily|
|544||Salem – Ernakulam||47||Valayar – Edappally|
|744||Tirumangalam – Kollam||208||Kollam – Kazhuthuritty|
|766||Kozhikode – Mysore (Kollegal)||212||Kozhikode – Muthanga|
|966||Ferokh – Palakkad||213||Ferokh – Palakkad|
|966A||Kalamassery – Vallarpadam||47C||Kalamassery – Vallarpadam|
|966B||Kundannoor – Willington Island||47A||Kundannoor – Willington Island|
|More Info Visit here: Kerala PWD|
National Highway 17
NH 17 is 421 kms long in Kerala and total 1269 km in India, is the longest highway in Kerala. NH 17 connects the entire Malabar coastal strech from Kasargod to Edapally and north of Ernakulam from Goa, Karnataka and Maharashtra. It enters the State at Thalapadi in the northern District of Kazaragod bordering with Karnataka state and joins NH 47 at Edappally in Kochi. The NH 17 crosses the Chaliyar River in Feroke, Bharathappuzha in Kuttippuram and the Periyar River in Varappuzha among major Kerala rivers.
Major towns where Railway line touches NH 17 are Kazaragod, Kanhangad, Payyannur, Kannur, Thalassery, Mahe (Part of Union Territory of Puthusseri, Vadakara, Koyilandi, Kozhikkode, Kuttippuram and Edappalli). The bypasses in NH 17 are at Kannur, Vadakara, Kozhikkode and Kodungallur(Under construction) with proposals are at Thalassery – Mahe, Quilandy and North Paravur.
Connecting Towns in Kerala: Manjeshwar – Uppala – Kumbala – Kasaragod – - Kanhagad – Neeleswaram – Pilicode – Karivellur – Payyannur -Taliparamba – Pariyaram – Valapattanam – Chirakkal – Kannur – Chowa – Edakkad – Muzhappilangad – Thalassery – New Mahe – Mahe – Vadakara – Payyoli – Quilandy – Kozhikkode – Feroke – Ramanattukara – Kottakkal – Valancheri -Kuttippuram – Thrikkanapuram – Ponnani – Guruvayur – Chavakkad – Thriprayar – Kodungallur – North Paravur – Edapally
National Highway 47
NH 47 connects Cape Comorin at Kanyakumari from Salem in Tamil Nadu via Coimbatore, Palakkad, Thrissur, Angamali, Aluva, Ernakulam, Alleppey, Ambalapuzha, Kayamkulam, Kollam and Trivandrum. NH-47 enters Kerala at Walayar near Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu and leaves at Kaliyikkavila in Thiruvananthapuram District. The total Length in Kerala is 416 km
Connecting Towns in Kerala: Walayar – Palakkad – Alathur – Vadakkencherry – Mannuthy(Thrissur Bypass) – Chalakudy – Angamaly – Aluva – Kalamassery – Edapally(Kochi Bypass) – Vytilla(Kochi Bypass) – Cherthala – Alappuzha – Haripad – Kayamkulam – Ochira -Karunagappally – Kollam – Attingal – Kazhakkuttam(Trivandrum Bypass) – Neyyattinkara – Parassala
National Highway 47A
NH-47A is 6 kms long and the shortest highway in the Indian Highway network. NH47A connects Ernakulam with Willington Island
National Highway 47C
National Highway 47C or NH 47C starts at Kalamassery (junction with NH 47) and ends at Vallarpadam International Container Transhipment Terminal in Kochi, Kerala, India. The total length of the highway is 17 km and runs only in Ernakulam district of Kerala.
National Highway 49
NH 49 links Dhanushkodi in Tamilnadu to Ernakulam via Munnar and Madurai. The National Highway 49 Enters the State at Bodimettu and joins the NH 47 (Ending at Kundanoor in Cochin Bypass. This National Highway passes through the famous tourist centre at Munnar.
Connecting Towns in Kerala: Pettah Junction(Thrippunithura) – Thiruvankulam – PuthenKuriz – Kolenchery – Muvattupuzha – Kothamangalam – Neriamangalam- Adimali- Munnar- Devikulam
National Highway 208
NH 208 connects Kollam to Thirumangalam in Tamil Nadu via Tenkasi and Rajapalayam. NH-208 enters the State at Aryankavu and joins NH 47 at Kollam. There are 18 minor bridges and one major bridge.
National Highway 212
NH 2012 connects Kozhikode to Kollegal near bangalore via Kalpetta, Sulthan Bathery, Gundlupet and Mysore. The entire section is from Kollegal to Calicut, it enters Kerala at Muthanga and joins NH 17 at Kozhikode. Last 17 km in ghat section passes through forest land.
National Highway 213
NH 2013 connects Palakkad to Kozhikode via Mannarkad and Kondotty. It starts from NH 17 at Ramanattukara near Kozhikode joins NH 47 at Palakkad.
Connecting Towns in Kerala: Ramanattukara – Kondotty – Malappuram – Perinthalmanna – Mannarkkad – Palakkad joins NH-47.
National Highway 220
NH 220 connects Kollam to Theni in Tamil Nadu via Kottayam, Kanjirappally, Peermade, Vandiperiyar and Kumily. The highway starts at Kollam on NH 47 and terminates at Teni on NH 49 in the State of Tamil Nadu.
New Highway Details of Kerala
- NH 66: This highway starts from its junction with NH-48 near Panvel connecting Indapur, Mahad, Rajapur, Kudal in the State of Maharashtra, Panaji, Margao in the State of Goa, Karwar, Honavar, Udupi, Mangalore in the State of Karnataka, Kasaragod, Kannur, Ponnani, Edappalli, Ernakulam, Thiruvanamthapuram in the State of Kerala and terminates at its junction with NH-44 near Kanniyakumari in the State of Tamil Nadu.
- NH 85: This highway starts from its junction with NH-66 near Kochi in the State of Kerala connecting Ernakulam, Muvattupula, Devikulam in the State of Kerala, Teni, Madurai, Piruppuvanam, Povandhi, Sivaganga, Kalaiyarkoil, Tiruvadanai and terminates at Tondi point in the State of Tamil Nadu.
- NH 183: This highway starts from its junction with NH-83 near Dindigul connecting Teni, Uttamapalayam in the State of Tamilnadu, Kumily, Pirmed, Kanjirappali, Kottayam, Adur and terminating at its junction with NH-744 near Kottarakara in the State of Kerala.
- NH 544: This highway starts from its junction with NH-44 near Salem connecting Coimbatore in the State of Tamil Nadu Palakkad, Thrissur and terminates at its junction with NH-66 near Ernakulam in the State of Kerala.
- NH 744: This highway starts from its junction with NH-44 near Tirumangalam connecting Sriviiliputtur, Rajapalaiyam, Tenkasi, Puliyur in the State of Tamil Nadu. Punalur, Kottarakara and terminates at its junction with NH-66 near Kollam in the State of Kerala.
- NH 766: This highway starts from its junction with NH-66 near Kozikode connecting Kalpetta in the State of Kerala, Gundlulpet, Mysore and terminates at its junction with NH-948 near Kollegal in the State of Karnataka.
- NH 966: This highway starts from its junction with NH-66 near Ferokh and terminates at its junction with NH-544 near Palakkad in the State of Kerala.
- NH 966 A: This highway starts from its junction with NH-544 near Kalamassery after crossing NH-66. and terminates at Vallarpadam in the State of Kerala.
- NH 966 B: This highway starts from its junction with NH-66 and terminates at Willington Island in the State of Kerala.